[Dixielandjazz] Thanks, & question on range

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Thu Jun 26 15:08:14 PDT 2003

Meg Graf inquires:

> I have a question about range, for reed-playing listmates.  A friend
> recently told me that Adrian
> Rollini had a 4-octave range on the bass sax.
>
> Is such a thing possible on the sax, any sax, and most especially bass
sax?
> If so, how?

 Meg,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was present @ the Crest Theater in
Sacramento when Vince Giordano, along with the Cullum band, recorded a
Riverwalk radio show on Adrian Rolini.

After the show, I was talking to Vince when he mentioned that someone, I
can't remember who, once told him to use a baritone sax mouth piece on the
bass sax.

Since I am not a reed player, I cannot tell you if this would give you more
range or not.

I'll cc: Vince on this & I'm sure he will give you help.

Best,

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA