[Dixielandjazz] Thanks, & question on range

Meg Graf meggraf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 10:14:48 PDT 2003

Hello, listmates,

My thanks to those who responded to my inquiry on "Big Lip Blues."  What a
marvelous tune!

I have a question about range, for reed-playing listmates.  A friend
recently told me that Adrian
Rollini had a 4-octave range on the bass sax.

Is such a thing possible on the sax, any sax, and most especially bass sax?
If so, how?
As a self-taught  player,  there are many techniques  I have not discovered
yet,
but even with alternate fingerings and the best mouthpiece and reed extant,
I cannot imagine
achieving such range.

If this can be accomplished, how is it done?

Thanks in advance,

Meg [wondering if he was pulling my proverbial leg] and Big George