[Dixielandjazz] music/personality

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Thu Jun 26 14:48:56 PDT 2003

>   From: fred spencer <drjz at bealenet.com>
>   Dear Snogpitch,
>  You must fall into a "schizo" group because you enjoy
>  several types of music!

Hey, Doc! Who you calling "schizo"?
I'd prefer "diverse" or "well balanced."
My music suits my moods and the many worlds to explore within me.

Then you said:
>  "... The first, and, perhaps the only question to be asked, is - how is
"jazz" defined? - all the way from ragtime and swing (neither of which
purists say is jazz) through bop, cool, modal, rock, fusion - never mind New
Orleans, Chicago, Kansas City, and Dixieland..."

Oh, now, let's not start THAT again!  ;)  "Let My People Go.'" I think it's
safe to "ass-u-me" that all-of-the-above would be included as jazz in the
study, because all of it IS jazz, RELATIVE to the other forms of music.

Realistically, I don't expect studies to be perfect or right, just better
than what came before and of some inspiration to young researchers.