[Dixielandjazz] Funeral of Peanuts Hucko

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 14:10:44 PDT 2003

A "Celebration of the life of Michael Andres "Peanuts" Hucko was held Monday
morning, June 23 at 10:30 a.m. at the Schmitz-Floyd-Anderson Funeral Chapel
in Denton, Texas.

We were each given a tri-fold program as we entered that had Peanuts'
picture on the front and several family pictures, including Peanuts as a
young boy with his family, on the inside left.  The program for the service
was in the center and on the right was another picture of Peanuts' and his
bio.  On the back left of the program there was a picture of St. John the
Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church in Syracuse, N.Y. -- Peanuts' first
church.

In the middle of the back side, there was a picture of Louise and Peanuts
walking in the rain with a huge umbrella over them.  They were walking in
stride and had huge smiles on their faces.  Under the picture was this poem:

	The most wonderful thing
	is that you and I
	are always walking together,
	hand in hand,
	in a strangely beautiful world,
	unknown to other people.
	We both stretch one hand
	to receive from Life--
	and Life is generous indeed.
			--Kahlil Gibran

Because of technical difficulties, we could not hear the Prelude of
"Memories of You" by Peanuts and Ralph Sutton.

The Pastor of the Denton Bible Church where Peanuts and Louise attended
officiated.  He told of Peanuts faith in God, loyalty to wife and country.
He told of his integrity.

Others who paid tribute to Peanuts were Curt Wilson, Band/Jazz Ensemble
Group Director for Texas Christian University, Curly Broyles, trumpet
player, whose friendship went back to the 1949 Ray McKinley Band, and Dr.
Leon Breeden, retired professor of Jazz Studies and Director of the famed
One O'clock Lab Band at North Texas University.  Leon told of the influence
and inspiration Peanuts was to young people, including Ron Hockett,
clarinetist with the Jim Cullum Jazz Band.  Leon also told about playing
with Peanuts in the ABC Studio Bands while Leon was studying in New York.

Musical Reflections of "We'll Be Together Again" and "Our Love is Here to
Stay" was sung by Betty Tomboulian as well as "The Lord's Prayer".

Fortunately we were able to hear the Postlude of Peanuts playing "Just a
Closer Walk With Thee" in the clear, rich tone Peanuts was known for.

Internment followed at the Roselawn Memorial Park Cemetery in far West
Denton.

Respectively submitted,
Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX