[Dixielandjazz] Bios: Dave Richoux

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jun 25 12:09:10 PDT 2003

(this is adapted from my Bio on the "And That's Jazz" CD)

I was born in Omaha Nebraska in 1950, raised in Iowa, Southern and
Northern California on the music of Spike Jones and big bands and at
the age of five I told my mother  that I was going to play the tuba.  A
few years later, I was playing the trumpet, trombone and tuba in junior
and senior high school bands (marching, jazz, pep band, wind band) in
Richmond, California.  In 1968 I was in the US Navy Drum and Bugle
Corps  and later played brass in a shipboard rock/blues band during the
Vietnam War. While I was on a ship home ported in Sasebo, Japan I
became a regular customer at a small coffee bar called "The Downbeat"
where I listened to many hours of jazz records (mostly Bop and
mainstream.) After I got out of the Navy I went to college at San Jose
State University but my design major left little time for any music.

After college, I connected with Los Trancos Woods  Community Marching
Band  and found it to be a great re-entry to other musical
performances.  This  lead to joining the Churchill Street (1978) and
then Monterey Bay Classic (1981) jazz bands and  joined "And That's
Jazz" (1983.)  I was also a cofounder of the Zenith New Orleans Brass
Band and have toured the world with the California Repercussions. I
also am a member of "Smith's Slippery Gulch Band" that performs for
various E Clampus Vitus events. Since 1983 I have been the host of
"The Jazz Parade" on KFJC 89.7 FM, Thursdays 10AM-Noon Pacific Time.

OKOM is not the only style of music I enjoy - I like Frank Zappa, Brave
Combo, Balkan and British Brass bands, String and Jug bands and several
San Francisco Bay Area alternative "jazz" groups. I try to get to the
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year - been going there
since 1980.

I have worked as an Industrial and Graphic Design consultant for quite
a few years between gigs, mostly designing computers, medical and test
equipment but I also helped design several unusual games and toys.
Things are a bit slow here in Silicon Valley these days so I am in a
sort of early retirement. I am also interested in old cars and
motorcycles, books and comic books.

I currently live in Los Altos, CA with my wife Vicky, her  daughter
Allison, 2  dogs (Sam and Guinness) and 3.5  cats, lots of tubas and
other music instruments, many old cars and motorcycles, and several
thousand books and records.

Dave Richoux

(here are links to some of the groups I  am associated with - some have
pictures of me...)
Los Trancos Woods Community Marching Band:
http://www.jimharvey.org/ltwcmb/
"And That's Jazz": http://www.jazzdance.org/andthatsjazz/
California Repercussions: http://www.repercussions.com/
KFJC 89.7 FM:  http://www.kfjc.org