[Dixielandjazz] famous names

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jun 25 12:12:19 PDT 2003

I've been reading all the bios with interest.  Since mine was one of the
first, I've noticed a trend to name those one has played with in later
posts.

I didn't mention any "famous names" in my bios as most of them have been
Spanish & would be unknown to those on the list.  For the first 3 yrs
here in Spain, I played approx 300 bull fights (really enjoy the
Pasadobles!).  This was with the U.S. Air Force Band stationed at
Torrejon AB, Madrid.  We even accompanied a guitarist in his rendition
of Concierto de Aranjuez in the actual town of Aranjuez, which I state
as somewhat of a first!

Played for Franco (Spanish National Anthem while he walked the length of
the troops (a very small man!!).  Oh, and I  have a picture of myself
playing the U.S. National Anthem with John Kenney standing in front of
the band, hand over heart, slight tilt to one side in his famous stance,
General Curtis LeMay next to him, AF One in the background.  That was at
Vandenburg AFB, California.

During my some 20 yrs working in the recording studios in Madrid as a
session musician I played with basically everyone possible...as the main
gig was to blow in a brass section on someone else's recording.  Famous
names?  Several might be recognized if anyone is into this kind of
music:  Julio Iglesias (all his early stuff he did before moving to
Miami, plus live gigs), Miguel Rios, Waldo de los Rios, Carmen Sevilla,
Camilo Sesto,  4 months in the pit band of Jesus Cristo Superstar!,

Internacional names?  Toured with Lisa Minelli (a pain), Tom Jones
(basically a pain, but a great voice),   Isaac Hayes/Shaft  (great,
great rhythm section travelled with him).  Did a night in a large TV
band with  Henry Mancini directing.  Lovely man.  Just another one of
the musicians...no big ego.  We did all his great tunes....a real high
point in my career.

Enough of "blowing my own horn".............

Jim Kash