[Dixielandjazz] Sons Of Bix

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Jun 24 21:16:24 PDT 2003

Dear Vunderherr:
It was indeed Russ Whitman. Tom Pletcher is doing much better and playing
some. He will even lead a boat tour this fall with a Bixian band (see his ad
in Mississippi Rag).
Thanks for the compliments on the SOB arrangements. Those charts were either
Don Gibson's or mine. As for playing without over blowing -- hey, that's the
way it's supposed to be. Example: Bix on Thou Swell, Wa Da Da. Dynamics
can't be
utilized if everything is FFF. The better bands over the years were the ones
that had dynamics mastered, building to a big finish or punching and
dropping back quickly -- as per Eddie Condon's "Chicago Break."
Nice to hear from you. Family health problems and mother's declining health
made Logan a no show for us, but if you are back next year we will plan way
ahead to be there, good Lord willing and a running car.
Don Ingle