[Dixielandjazz] Short Bio

Bill Horton horton4jaz at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 20:18:06 PDT 2003

As are many DJML list-lurkers, I'm just a rabid fan of OKOM, not a musician.
Got hooked on trad listening to late-night broadcasts of Chic Webb and Ella,
back in high school and, despite not reading a note, formed a small (but
awful) dance band.  With a 3-year intermission as a demolition man in the
combat engineers of an infantry division during WW2  (nickname: Short Fuse),
I managed to get mechanical engineering degrees at Ohio State Univ. and
Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie-Mellon Institute.)

Designed large cranes and power shovels in Ohio, moved to Texas designing
industrial gas and oil burners, then West Texas designing heavy oil field
service equipment, moved to S. California as Chief Engineer for a larger
competitor, then to N. Calif. as Chief for an outfit making logistics
equipment.  From there went as Chief of Advance Engrg. for a heavy truck
manufacturer, and finally ended up designing missile launching systems.
Meanwhile wheeled and dealed with apartment complexes and was able to retire
very early.  In my spare time my wife and I (as a Lay Reader) started an
Episcopal mission in La Mirada, CA, now a parish with a nice building, and
wrote a political commentary column.

In retirement we moved close to Pismo Beach and became involved with the
Basin Street Regulars ("The Finest Jazz Club in the Universe").  When K.O.
Eckland retired as editor of OffBeat, our little monthly magazine, he
pointed the finger at me and I took over, which was sort of like being asked
to sub on vocals for Mel Torme!  After 10 years, I threw in the towel, and
Jim Borland (a DJML lurker) took over.  I've written a humorous jazz-based
novel, The Big Gig, which would undoubtedly be more popular than the Harry
Potter books if I could just get an agent (let alone a publisher) to even
look at a sample chapter.

Except for opera, I love all kinds of music, OKOM first, with Big Band Swing
and Modern Jazz (Mulligan/Getz/Brubeck/Tjader/etc.) following closely.

Come July 1, I will have inhaled second-hand smoke for 80 years, plus
first-hand smoke for about 65 of them, and am looking forward to at least
another 20.  (I just mention that to bug friend Bob Ringadingwald.)

Bill Horton
www.PismoJazz.com