[Dixielandjazz] Bio Info

Michael Woitowicz banjobarons at nconnect.net
Mon Jun 23 15:25:21 PDT 2003

To the Listmates:

As a lurker on the list, I welcome the opportunity to talk about my musical
background, much like several others who have beat me to the punch.

I am a banjo/guitarist, nowadays focusing mostly on tenor banjo. I front two
bands, the Banjo Barons Ragtime band (tenor banjo, plectrum banjo, and
string bass) and a dixie, whoops, OKOM band called the Dixie Barons
Dixieland band (tenor banjo, clarinet, washboard and bass or tuba).
Sometimes we add additional players, as the economics present themselves.

As a side note, drummer and listmate Bill Sargent has just started to play
washboard as a fill in with some of my combos.

The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band trio has recorded two cassettes and a CD. With
various local sidemen, I have performed with this group all over the
country, from Nashville to New Orleans. We play all over the midwest, but
our home base is Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Check our website listed below for
more information.

I started the Dixie Barons Dixieland Band about 4 years ago in response to
requests for this style of music. It's been growing year by year. It now
accounts for 25% of my bookings.

I started playing banjo at the age of 13 (50+years ago) and was performing
in Polka Bands at age 15. I couldn't believe it when, at my first wedding
gig, I got to play the banjo for four hours, have a great meal, drink some
beer (not too much, I was underage) and then get paid the fabulous sum of
$15.00!! I thought I died and had gone to heaven.

Except for Bill Sargent who lives locally in my area, I haven't personally
met many DJML'rs. However, I have bought Sheik's books and corresponded with
him over the years. I also purchased a piece of equipment for Jim Kash in
Spain that he was unable to get over there (a megaphone). I really enjoy
John Farrell's music and have stolen a few licks (sorry John, but they're so
good!). Overall, the DJML experience has been great. I especially enjoy the
war stories when Jim Beebe and others talk about their experiences with some
of the historical players. Jim was nice enough to respond to me about some
questions I had about the banjo playing of Clancy Hayes.

Is this a great list or what?

Mike Woitowicz (tenor banjo)
www.banjobarons.com