[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Ostrich Walk chord questions

Dick Sleeman d.sleeman at hccnet.nl
Mon Jun 23 11:49:48 PDT 2003

From: "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit at cpcug.org>

> Here's a question for mouldie figge and other chord mavens.
>
> I have transcribed Bix's 16-bar solo on "Ostrich Walk". The previous strain
> is the 16-bar reed chorus and has clear chords:
>
> Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
> Ab...   Db.Eb7.   ....   Ab...
> Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
> Abo...   ....   Ab.Eb7.   Ab...

David, I agree with you that the reed chorus has clear chords but I disagree on two points, namely measures 2 and 6. As I hear it, it should be (I follow your notation):

> Ab...   Abo...   Eb7...   Ab...
> Ab...   Bbm7.Eb7.   ....   Ab...
> Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
> Abo...   ....   Ab.Eb7.   Ab...

> One would anticipate that Bix's solo would be over the same chords, and
> basically it is, but with considerable variation. As I hear them:
>
> Ab...   Bb7..(Eb7?)   Ab...   ....
> (Ab?).(?)   Db(?).Eb7.   ...B+   Ab...
> Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
> Abo[break...   ....]   Eb7...   Ab...
>
> Bix's notes call for different chords, but the piano seems to trying to
> play the Reed chorus chords.
> Was Bix messing around with the chords? Did he not have command of the
> chords for this strain?

It's my opinion that not Bix, but Itzie Riskin, the pianist, is messing around with the chords. And again I disagree with your transcription (no offence meant!); as I hear it, they play:

> Ab...   Db...  Eb7...   Ab...
> Ab.Bo... Bbm7.Eb7...  Eb7...   Ab...
> Ab...   Bo...   Eb7...  Ab...
> Abo[break...   ....]   Ab.Eb7...  Ab...

Maybe Itzie was distracted by something, 'cause during Bill Ranks solo they play again the same chords as in the reed chorus.

I am looking forward to what other listmates have to contribute to your question!

Regards,

Dick Sleeman, Lelystad, Holland.

<d.sleeman at hccnet.nl>