[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Ostrich Walk chord questions

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Jun 23 00:12:14 PDT 2003

Here's a question for mouldie figge and other chord mavens.

I have transcribed Bix's 16-bar solo on "Ostrich Walk". The previous strain
is the 16-bar reed chorus and has clear chords:

Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
Ab...   Db.Eb7.   ....   Ab...
Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
Abo...   ....   Ab.Eb7.   Ab...

One would anticipate that Bix's solo would be over the same chords, and
basically it is, but with considerable variation. As I hear them:

Ab...   Bb7..(Eb7?)   Ab...   ....
(Ab?).(?)   Db(?).Eb7.   ...B+   Ab...
Ab...   Bb7...   Eb7...   Ab...
Abo[break...   ....]   Eb7...   Ab...

Bix's notes call for different chords, but the piano seems to trying to
play the Reed chorus chords. In several places the guitar is too far in the
background to be of much help, and I don't hear any bass line. The track
was recorded in an echoey hall and the cornet and strong reverb combine to
obscure the piano in the places where I have (parens).

Was Bix messing around with the chords? Did he not have command of the
chords for this strain?

Anyone want to try to fill in the parenthesis?

Thanks.
--Sheik