[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tatum and Sandoval

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sun Jun 22 23:31:59 PDT 2003

<<<<<<Besides any number of other great jazz pianists you seem to be
overlooking two great pianists, Ludwig von Beethoven and Wolfgang
Amadeus Mozart.  These are two that we shall not see the likes of again.
Jim Beebe>>>>>

I second Jim in that, noting of course that Mozart and Beethoven are not
JAZZ pianists.  And Steve mentioned me and Luis Flores as being able to
give more news about Sandoval. Yes, we in South America know about
Sandoval especially in popular and classical circles; in these circles,
very few consider Sandoval as being a Jazzman.

Well, dear Listers, at risk of attracting heavy flak, I'll give my view
in the hope of being helpful to the discussion.

All problems in this current issues (Tatum and Sandoval) and many
discussions and feuds in Jazz circles anywhere arouse from a simple
fact.  This fact passes unperceived and unrecognized for most people
listening to MUSIC and to JAZZ;

This simple fact is: there are MUSICIANS and there are JAZZMEN, and
these categories are clearly distinct and quite easily identifiable when
taken in its extremes.

Example: Beethoven and Mozart are MUSICIANS but are NOT JAZZMEN.  (they
just couldn't swing!)

Jim Robinson and Freddie Keppard are JAZZMEN but they are NOT MUSICIANS.
(they just could't read staffs!)

This view is evidently forced when we front the great majority of
performers today: everyone has a mixture, a blend of qualities belonging
to a MUSICIAN and qualities belonging to a JAZZMAN.

Most JAZZMEN today can read music, have studied technically how to play
his instrument, can compose and understand counterpoint and harmony;
but even today many JAZZMEN don't read, don't had any formal training,
but can swing galore and blow like hell; on the other side, most
classical players or orchestra MUSICIANS have complete formal education
in music and enormous technical proficiency but are UNABLE to play a
blue note, to swing or even to improvise.

A few chosen talents can have a foot in both categories; and still fewer
can excel in both categories.  Tatum is in this scarce tribe. He is a
JAZZMAN and a MUSICIAN. He defies categorization.

Sandoval, I don't know; I was amazed by his prowess when I listened to
the short clips given by Nancy. But he seems to me to be a great
MUSICIAN, a great ARTIST (as an actor who plays roles as a chameleon),
but he don't seems to swing. To my ears, he is not a JAZZMAN, but being
as an Artist he can play the role and make people believe he is one.

More than that, both Tatum and Sandoval they have TALENT, in LARGE
scale, much more than we simple mortals and TALENT is a thing that few
persons recognize in his neighbor.  :-)  (VBG)

Ready for the flak.

Tito "I’m Not a Musician" Martino
clarinet, s.sax, a.sax,
Tito Martino Jazz Band