[Dixielandjazz] Anne Davison video

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sun Jun 22 14:27:42 PDT 2003

My friend, Al Townsend, a fine jazz trumpeter and retired minister here in La
Crosse, WI, recently purchased Burt Wilson's documentary video on Anne
Davison.  Al brought it over the other day and we both viewed it.

This is really a remarkable documentary and within it are very interesting
interviews with Anne, with Wild bill, along with neat clips of Bill playing with
different groups around the world.  Anne truly was a remarkable woman.  She
was with Bill every second of the way, on every trip and engagement.  Her
sparkling, vivacious personality complimented Bill in many ways and certainly she
was able to smooth out Bill's rough edges and sooth this savage beast.

Both Al and I played with Bill a lot and we knew Bill and Anne very well.
Viewing this superb video offered some closure to both of us.

Al Townsend's band, "The Wonderful World Jazz band" will be featured on the
Great River Jazz Festival, here in LaCrosse on the first weekend in August.
This is a fun Fest with always a great lineup.  Come and you'll be glad that you
did.

Thanks, Burt Wilson for a great video documentary on Anne Davison.

Jim Beebe