[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sandoval, was Art Tatum Still King

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 22 14:09:10 PDT 2003

Hi Jerry & List mates:

As a businessman, and entrepreneur in my non-musical performing life from 1962 to 1992,
it sounds to me like Sandoval CDs are a goldmine waiting to happen in the UK and
possibly throughout Europe. Can you become the distributor? Perhaps fame and fortune
await.

Sandoval has a VERY LARGE following here in North America, and I think also in South
America. Tito Martino or Luis Flores would know much more about that than I do.

He is a basically "modern jazz" / "classical" player which may account for the lack of
interest among your clientele. Be that as it may, he is among the finest brass players
of any musical genre in the world today. About nine or ten  Grammy nominations and 3
Grammy awards since coming to the USA from Cuba in 1990, to be free both musically and
physically.

In checking his tour schedule for 2003/4, I did not see any appearances outside of
North America. Don't know why, maybe he doesn't like airplanes. But he does indeed have
a diverse multi-instrument musical life from jazz to classical including teaching  and
composing as well as playing. His multifaceted musical life may account for the smaller
than usual output of recorded work

Those 3 "Dixieland" selections on the "Trumpet Evolution" CD will astound all on the
DJML who choose to hear them. As will many of the other selections, even though many
are not OKOM. The 19 homage's are those artists and songs that he believes were most
influential in shaping the trumpet/cornet/fleugelhorn in jazz from roughly 1920 to
present day. For those who have neither the will nor the time to listen to thousands of
records, it is a very worthwhile buy. The short course, if you will, to hearing the
development of the trumpet in jazz.

After his performance at the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, he did two nights in
Philadelphia's premier jazz nightclub, Zanzibar Blue. According to reports he blew the
place apart. Wish I could have seen/heard him in a real jazz club setting, but had my
own gigs both nights. Rats.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote: (about Sandoval)