[Dixielandjazz] Trumpets and evolution

Nickdragos at cs.com Nickdragos at cs.com
Sun Jun 22 11:33:00 PDT 2003

Listers,

This discussion on the latest Arturo Sandoval CD is most interesting....by
now, you are all aware some participants disdain contemporary "tribute" CDs,
preferring the original classics as their frame of reference......others
appreciate such tribute performances, some because they help keep the music "alive",
others because they stamp OKOM & other jazz and popular music works with the
artists' musical personality and whatever degree of proficiency he or she can
imprint on it.....

The debate continues.....

I would like your imput as to which of today's jazz performers produce
recordings which both show their contemporary jazz abilities and their respect &
knowledge of classic OKOM works.

These artists come to mind, with varying degrees of ability along these lines:

DIANA KRALL.....clearly moving away from being a jazz pianist/vocalist
towards a career as a "ballad singer", but has some chops (Her "All Of You" tribute
album to the great Nat Cole is my favorite)

WYNTON MARSALIS......dangerous territory here: over-rated (especially as "a
composer") and clearly with a political agenda, but he regularly pays tribute
to the masters (Armstrong, Morton, Bechet, Monk, etc.) and has remarkable
instrumental ability....but, despite being a leading spokesperson for jazz today,
hasn't had a musical personality of his own step forward

BILL CHARLAP.......I find him a delightful, sensitive pianist with respect
for the music and an ability to put his stamp on someone else's composition
without destroying its foundation....kinda like what the fabulous Boswell Sisters
did when they re-composed music to fit their style in the early 30's (not a
great analogy, but I think you know what I mean)

MARCUS ROBERTS.......interesting at times (boring at other times), but has
demonstrated a love & respect for past masters, back to Joplin & Morton...at
least he does bring to the table his own style (for better or for worse)

HOUSTON PERSON......kind of the Gene Ammons of the 1990's-2000's...his recent
Highnote recordings are solid (if unspectacular) renditions of The Great
American Songbook....romantic, some swinging, tasteful

This is the start of my list......I'd be interested in your ideas, unless, of
course, this just bores you to tears (or the delete button)....

Then again, I just might  be feelin' that ol' dementia a-comin' on.....

Sincere Best Wishes,
Nick Dragos   Sacramento, California
NickDragos at cs.com