[Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum Still King

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 19:25:33 PDT 2003

In a message dated 21/6/03 17:35:45, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

<< Methinks those words were referring to the other pianists performing there
and not Mr. Tatum? ;-)

Tatum is still King and he had a lot more than "acrobatic display" as I and
the reviewer, if one carefully reads the review, hear it. >>

Sorry Steve,

I was referring to Art Tatum I'm afraid. To me he is not the 'King' and never
will be. To me he is over-flowery and often put his undeniable amazing
technique above his musical feeling. I can think of dozens of piano players who I
would rather listen to than Tatum. But then I am a musical illiterate who puts
jazz feeling before musical skill in my selection of jazz players.

Jelly Roll Morton, Teddy Wilson, Fats Waller, James P. Johnson, Pete Johnson,
and even Arizona Dranes come higher on my listening list than Tatum but then
as I can't read music or play any instrument how do I count!

By the way who is Anthuro Sandoval? I have never sold one of his albums or
for that matter ever been asked for one.

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich,
U.K.