[Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum Still King

Nickdragos at cs.com Nickdragos at cs.com
Sat Jun 21 15:44:03 PDT 2003

Jerry,

My admiration for Art Tatum knows no bounds, and I happen to love Bill
Charlap, too! I think of him as a wonderfully expressive player...clearly a
well-rounded musician who stamps both new and old compositions with a distinctive
musical personality...

He also has that rare ability to hold back & not show off each and every
skill he has in every 32 bars he attempts.....I've also heard in his playing a
respect for the melody & the original composition....yet, as previously
mentioned, he imprints his musical ideas freely upon everything I've heard him record
(he has frequently been on the great SteepleChase label and, if memory serves,
several contemporary releasaes on Criss Cross Jazz, too).

Not OKOM, but I'd recommend his 2000 release on Blue Note (under the imprint
of Somethin' Else Records (Index # 7243 5 27291 2 8 ) "Written In The
Stars"...thoughful intepretations of "In The Still Of The Night", "Blue Skies", "On A
Slow Boat To China", and "Dream" are included.....in my view, very tasty.....

Regards, Nick Dragos, Sacramento, California
NickDragos at cs.com