[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Evolution in Jazz

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Jun 20 22:37:50 PDT 2003

Steve Barbone enthused (re an Arturo Sandoval CD) :

" If you like trumpet, or like jazz, hear this one and be awed. Run out
and buy it right now. WOW."

Naaaah. I'll stick with Alf Chalkley's unique mouth trumpet renditions
(remember that mad thread?). Alf, God bless him, once gave me a home-made
tape of his tribute to Eddie Calvert ("The Man With The Golden Trumpet") for
the price of a pint of Worthington.  In his spare time Alf was captain of
the darts teams at Romford's Bell And Gate pub - usually around ten o'clock
at night, urged on by the drunken throng, he would parp his way through "Oh
Mein Papa" complete with vibrato effects achieved by wagging a rolled-up
copy of The Chadwell Heath Examiner in front of his cupped hand.

The advent of rock-and-roll put paid to Alf's lingering ambitions of world
recognition - when last I heard of him he was employed as a doner kebab meat
cooker at a dingy Greek restaurant somewhere in Golders Green. I understand
that he had perfected "Midnight Is the Hour" (another Calvert biggie) which
sold exactly 7 copies before he lost the tape in a caravan fire. Check the
Ebay listings, you never know your luck.

Arturo, eat your heart out.

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net