[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Evolution in Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 14:29:45 PDT 2003

List mates:

Saw Arturo Sandoval perform a tribute to Clifford Brown Wednesday night
and got him to sign my Sandoval CDs, Including "Trumpet Evolution" just
released on Crescent Moon Records. Once again, I urge all of you to buy
this short course on the evolution of jazz trumpet. He pays accurate
homage to 19 trumpet players as follows: (by their date of birth)

The homage's are:

King Oliver  via Dippermouth Blues
Louis Armstrong via Sleepy Time Down South
Bix Beiderbecke via At The Jazz Band Ball
ALL DONE IN GREAT DIXIELAND STYLE, THEN
Rafael Mendez via La Virgen De La Macarena
Bunny Berrigan via I Can't Get Started (vocal too)
Cootie Williams via Concerto For Cootie
Roy Eldridge via Little Jazz
Harry James via The Man With A Horn
Dizzy Gillespie via Manteca
Clark Terry via Tee Pee Time
Timofei Dokshizer via Coloratura Concerto For Soprano
Fats Navarro via Nostalgia
Miles Davis via Round Midnight
Maynard Ferguson via Maynard Ferguson
Chet Baker via My Funny Valentine
Clifford Brown via Joy Spring
Maurice Andre via Concerto In D Major
Freddie Hubbard via Up Jumped Spring
Wynton Marsalis via Later

This record is a MONSTER accomplishment of different trumpet styles.
There is nobody else on the planet who could have done what he did on
it.

Trumpet players, listen and be awed.
Jazz fans, listen and hear the joy and the message this man communicates
so beautifully via trumpet, cornet and fluegelhorn.

It is awesome, right down to the accompaniment which includes a stunning
big band, a stunning Dixieland band, complete with bass sax on the Bix
number and a neat clarinet player.

He sounds like each of the masters he pays homage to. Like when he does
Roy Eldridge, I hear what I heard playing next to little Jazz 50 years
ago. If you are a Strict OKOM fan you will like everything up to Dizzy
Gillespie. Plus Chet Baker and that alone makes this CD worth buying.
Broader based jazz fans will be blown away by the entire CD.

If you like trumpet, or like jazz, hear this one and be awed. Run out
and buy it right now. WOW.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone