[Dixielandjazz] Logan (was WOW!)

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Jun 18 08:48:22 PDT 2003

At 12:23 AM 6/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>    Yes, Ringwald and all the "Boondockers" as well as Sheik, Kaye Wade, Big
>Mama Sue and several others, so maybe no one  had (or wanted) internet access.
>    BTW, Logan was a real blast in spite of the almost continuous rain  ...
>A real "sleeper" band for me was the
>Juggernaut Jug band.   They did everything from Bob Wills to the Boswell
>Sisters with Louis Jordan's tympany 5 thrown in for good measure.   The
>Boondockers, Kaye Wade, Big Mama Sue and our local Ohio groups all performed
>very well under somewhat less than favorable weather conditions. :-(
>    Charlie ( I voss dere ) Coleman

I also enjoyed the Logan weekend. Boondockers kept us in stitches--their
first CD is now available, and it's nice to have some of their routines at
hand.

The 4-piece Juggernaut Jug Band from Louisville KY is wonderful; 2
amplified guitars, bass guitar, and the leader who plays washboard,
harmonica, jug, trumpet; good musicians, nice funny guys like Poonsockers
gang. Both bands added to the fun by tossing zingers at each other, so one
listened to their sets wondering what the next zap would be. JJB has 4 CDs;
I bought 3 of 'em last year, finally had a chance to listen during the
8-hour ride from DC (Logan isn't the end of the earth, but you can see it
from there)--good ridin' music.

For me the "sleeper" was the Toll House Jazz Band of Columbus OH. Terrific
band, 2 excellant CDs. As a piano kicker, I was knocked out by their
pianist *Larry Nusser*, who not only sounded great in the band and during
his solos, but I had a chance to hear him alone in the piano store that
serves as the performer hospitality room. I'll catalog their CDs and be
able to provide anyone interested with track lists and website URL.

I also was grabbed by Jim Maihack's composition "Golden Gate Stomp" which I
heard for the first time. The other band that played was "Buffalo Ridge
Jazz Band" from Pennsylvania, and they were messing around with it off
stage; I asked what it was, and was delighted to find it on the CD "I'd
rather lead a band": Jim Maihack and the Golden Gate Rhythm Machine.
Maihack played tuba with Big Mama Sue, Trombone with Boondockers, and sat
in on piano with Buffalo Ridge when they played for the Washboard Concerts.

--Sheik