[Dixielandjazz] RE: Jazz Age Novel

Phil Crumley pcrumley at compuserve.com
Sun Jun 15 11:48:51 PDT 2003

Fred Spencer recently posted a Wall St. Journal review of 1929, A NOVEL OF
THE JAZZ AGE. I was very interested to see how this book begins --the first
two sentences are:

 "On the anvil of the cornbelt's summer sun the crowd sizzles at the
riverfront park in Davenport.   The gaunt-framed old man stands slightly
separate from them, his back turned on the bandshell where the Natural Gas
Jass Band races through  Muskrat Ramble."

Although we have played the Bix Fest on eight different occasions, we never
played Muskrat Ramble there!  Guess you just can't believe everything in
print, can you?  :-)

Phil Crumley
Natural Gas Jazz Band