[Dixielandjazz] Re: "AXE"....

PLadd36932 at aol.com PLadd36932 at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 08:07:06 PDT 2003

Hi All,

just in case you had not noticed that I had been away. I am back from my
adventures in Italy.
These included collapsing with a suspected heart attack  (they were wrong) in
Herculaneum.
Take my advice. Dont do it, at least, not there.
Lava blocks may have made good roads for Roman wagons and chariots but they
play hell with the small wheels on stretchers. Also I am taller than the
average Italian and therefore overlapped the stretcher at both ends, making for a
very uncomfortable ride.
Tourists who have paid to see old ruins are are not deflected by the odd body
laying on the floor of a 2000 year old house surrounded by medics with drips
and things. They want to see the ruins and if that means stepping over the
patient to see them , so be it..
Seriously, the emergency services were great. They whipped me into hospital,
ran tests, heart scan etc., and decided that I was unlikely to die in the near
future and discharged me. They even found an English speaking  nurse to
translate the doctors Italian into English.
The problem proved to be a bug, which Wendy went down with the following day
but it left us both pretty wrung out so the Pompeii wiol have to wait for
another time.

Incidentally, what I really wanted to say that in the UK `axe` never really
caught on. `Box` was the alternative. This started with guitars and then spread
to other instruments.

Nice to be back

Cheers

PatL