[Dixielandjazz] Jazz at the Jopin Ragtime Fest

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Jun 14 11:31:45 PDT 2003

Greetings, all.

Just a quick report from our perspective on the Scott Joplin Ragtime
Festival held last week in Sedalia, Missouri. Our understanding was that
this was the first time a Dixieland jazz band had played at this "ragtime"
festival. The Creole Band only played Saturday, June 7, the final day, but
what a gas! Terrific, receptive, capacity crowds who loved having a healthy
dose of New Orleans jazz mixed in with their five days of ragtime.

We were most honored to have the great Butch Thompson sit in on clarinet
with us on the 10 p.m. closing concert and again the next day at the
funeral. Thanks, Butch!

The funeral?

Yes. Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival founder "Ragtime Bob" Darch passed away
last October and his funeral/memorial service was held Sunday, June 8, in
Sedalia after the close of the festival. The family requested a "traditional
New Orleans jazz" funeral and, since Bob used to sit in with us when he was
in town visiting family and/or for medical treatments, we were invited to
provide the music and atmosphere. A grand time was had by all (including
Bob, I'm sure).

Photos of the band at the memorial service can now be seen on our website.
Stop by and take a look.

By the way, we're still playing every Sunday at Arris' Pizza in Springfield
and it looks like we will, indeed, be playing Mondays at Joey's Seafood
Restaurant as well. Last Monday, our debut at Joey's, the place filled up
and the owners were smiling so I guess we get to come back every Monday for
a while.

For details on everything and to view our new PHOTO section, check out our
website below.

Thanks!

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band