[Fwd: Re: [Dixielandjazz] "AXE"....]

fred spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jun 14 11:10:05 PDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] "AXE"....
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:08:24 -0400
From: fred spencer <drjz at bealenet.com>
To: GWW174 at aol.com

Dear Gordon et al.,
Robert S. Gold in Jazz Talk has 5 quotes about "Ax", the first from
1957. A "semantic explanation" in 1958 is, "any of the solo reed, or
(less commonly) brass instruments. Orig. a saxophone. From fancied
resemblance in shape plus the abbr. saxophone." Later "extended to any
tool of work." The Peter(s),Clayton and Gammond, in The Guinness
Companion to Jazz (1989), say "The term was introduced in the 1940s."
Wentworth and Flexner in their Dictionary of American Slang (1967) have,
"A musical instrument, esp..in a modern jazz context, 1957, and "any
musiuical instrument-even a piano." Regards.
Fred