[Dixielandjazz] Re: Humour in Music

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 12 14:12:35 PDT 2003

Dear John old mate,
Trust you to 'waste' my valuable time with esoteric stuff.
8>)
I found listings for what could be: >......  the aircheck recordings Artie Shaw
made of "Shoot the Likker to me, John Boy" in which the band try to match
Artie's twiddly bits until they all descend into total chaos.<.
But can't identify which one you refer to.
Probably 10 June 1939 issued on Aircheck 11 (an LP I do not have).
The Benny Goodman side where: >the take ends with some of the guys just jamming<
is surely "Ramona" (5 Feb 1941).
The 'breakdown' was issued by Columbia as a 'bonus' 7" LP.
The original safety stuff is on a Blu-Disc LP 1006 (which I have).
It turns out that the 'bonus' side was a spliced version!
As BG expert, D Russell Connor, says - it should really be labelled a 'bogus'
record.
Kind regards,
Bill.