[Dixielandjazz] Cullum Band

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Tue Jun 10 23:28:43 PDT 2003

To the person who was disenchanted by the Cullum Band during a taping of
Riverwalk.

It is very, very expensive to properly produce those Riverwalk shows.  I am
sure that during the taping, the musicians are taking their jobs very
seriously.  No one wants to blow a clam that might be heard over hundreds of
radio stations, or that might cause the number to have to be played over
again, or cause it not to be able to be used at all.  It is serious business
& the guys were concentrating.

I went to the taping about bass saxes with Vince Giordano.  The music was
flawless & Vinny could not have played any better.  In fact, I was marveling
@ just how good he did play.

Regarding David Holt, I think he does a great job.  Jim is not a
professional announcer.  They work the show just right what with Jim talking
from time to time but with David doing most of the talking.

IMHO Margaret, Jim, David & the band do a marvelous job with that show.
And, they have been on for 13 years.  You certainly can't argue with
success.

I remember when Jim first told me about his idea for doing the show.  I
never thought he would be able to pull it off.

I was also present @ both appearances @ the Red Lion & the Radison & the
band played just great!

I suspect that by that time, the radio shows were over, the pressure was off
& they were indeed, just having a good time.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band