[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Humor

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 11 10:27:27 PDT 2003

Dear Don,
Regarding your: >several sides only previously released in Australia (go
figure)< comment.
Nothing to figure at all.
8>)
The Red Ingle and Spike Jones records were extremely popular in Australia at the
time.
In fact, I would suggest greater, per head of population, than in the US during
the late 40s-early 50s.
We only had a population of 8 million at the time. (It is now close to 20
million.)
The first Capitol Red Ingle hits were big on radio, but only available here as
'special order' imports.
The Capitol sides "Cigareetes and Whusky/Git Up Offa the Floor Hannah" were even
given 'cover' versions, made by Sydney vclist/pianist Les Welsh & His Naked City
Seven.
All the early Spike Jones Victors appeared here on local and English (imported)
HMV.
We 'jazzers' bought and loved them all.
Naturally, I have the Bear Family CD you mention.
Along with most of Spike Jones' output up to the mid 50s.
Very kind regards,
Bill.