[Dixielandjazz] Humour in Music

John Ding roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 10 14:19:02 PDT 2003

One of my favourites has to be one (of several) of the aircheck recordings
Artie Shaw made of "Shoot the Liquor to me, John Boy" in which the
band try to match Artie's twiddly bits until they all descend into total
chaos.

Perhaps more amusing than out-'n'-out humour is BG's (that's Goodman not
Gunter <g>) studio recording of a tune called (I think) "More", adapted
from a classical piece whose title escapes me. Towards the end, someone
blows a clinker - or it maybe Mel Powell's gliss that wasn't quite in
context - and the take ends with some of the guys just jamming. Never
issued back then (1941/42 ?) it did appear on one of a Swedish LP set of
unissued Goodman.

There are other items which crease me up, but time (and memory) preclude
them right now.

-=-

 John,
        Suffolk, England.