[Dixielandjazz] Humor in music

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 9 15:32:55 PDT 2003

Bill and others--
    Yes, i remember being at one of the Boondocker's shows a couple of weeks ago in Sacramento.  It was hilarious, but musically well-done (no intentional wrong notes, etc.).  I don't think i've seen any of your shows that have the violin and trumpet behaving badly (but it sounds great).
    One of the problems with trying to be humorous ("Measure your humerus and divide by two.") occurs when people don't expect humor.  Two weeks ago our Wurst Band, in honor of all the highschool and college graduation ceremonies happening, played about 30 bars of Wagner's "Pilgrim's Chorus" from _Tannhäuser_.  The first 16 bars were fairly well in tune, but our fearless leader Jim Bryan (or sometimes, 'learless feeder') told us to start playing wrong notes in bar 17.  We did, and there was no reaction from the audience, until we just ended suddenly.  Last week, one of the more classically knowledgeable friends of the band commented that the tune didn't sound very good, and i had to explain to him that it was, in point of fact, intentional.  So be careful out there....

    Dan