[Dixielandjazz] Florence Foster Jenkins/Wing

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Mon Jun 9 19:16:43 PDT 2003

I have a CD of Florence but don't know if it is still current (highly
recommended to all Wing and Florence aficionados). Sometimes I quietly slip
it on when we have dinner guests, who gradually become aware that there is
something amiss with either the music or the hifi but politely decline to
comment. Here are the CD details :

Florence Foster Jenkins - The Glory Of The Human Voice (????)
RCA Victor Gold Seal GD 61175

The CD liner notes underline how a non-existent talent can succeed in
certain circumstances :

"Music critics covered the event (her annual New York concert) in precisely
the same reverse English with which they frequently though perhaps less
intentionally leave a baffled public speculating as to what actually did
happen the night before. Then the word got around. Tickets became harder to
come by than for a World Series. Carnegie Hall was sold out weeks in advance
and grossed something like $6,000."

Another interesting snippet from the notes :

"After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing a higher F than ever
before. Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company she sent the driver
a box of expensive cigars."

If she hopes to eclipse Florence, Ms Wing still has quite a way to go.

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net