[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Hot" music on Riverwalk

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 13:41:13 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/9/2003 9:10:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, mophandl at landing.com writes:

> The station carriage for Riverwalk, now in its 13th year on the air, is down
> from previous years, but is still quite substantial. Slightly less than 1
> million loyal listeners still tune in each week. And, if you don't find a
> station that plays the show, in a few weeks you will be able to stream
> Riverwalk on demand from anywhere on the planet. I will announce this when
> the service goes online, in our monthly e-newsletter Jazz Me News. There
> will be a link on our home page directly to the stream.
>

> I personally prefer not to use "OKOM" to define our music, and this list is
> a good example of why not. From lurking and contributing to DJML from its
> beginning, I've come to understand that there is not as much unanimity of
> style preference as many here evidently think. I've described Riverwalk as a
> "jazz" show, and I believe that's the most appropriate word to describe the
> music we present each week. It's true that our jazz is mainly from the
> pre-WWII era, and indeed our preferred way of differentiating ourselves from
> boppers is to say "hot prewar jazz."
>
> On Riverwalk, we regularly and faithfully feature the music of the Original
> Dixieland Jazz Band, New Orleans Rhythm Kings, King Oliver, Jelly Roll
> Morton, Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Sidney Bechet, and others not so
> quite orthodox trad such as Eddie Condon, Muggsy Spanier, Bill Coleman,
> Django Reinhardt, Jack Teagarden, Duke Ellington (20s), Artie Shaw, Benny
> Goodman, Bob Cats, etc. We've even ventured out recently into the post-war
> era with shows about Nat Cole and Al Cohn/Zoot Sims.
>
> My point is: there are many, many on DJML who do not like at least ONE of
> the above, or who take issue with the Jim Cullum Jazz Band's interpretation
> of same. That's not a problem, but using "Our Kind of Music" to describe
> Riverwalk's musical output is.
>
> Again, in my humble opinion (IMHO), there is no better term to use than
> simply "jazz." These days, there are so many kinds of non-swinging (and
> non-stomping) music out there that are very popular that call themselves
> "jazz," and it's up to the listener to be discriminating. If there's any
> music in the world that has the right to be known simply as
> "jazz," it's Our
> Kind, and that's OK in my book.
>
> mopo

Dick Sudhalter prefers and uses the term "Hot music" to denote
the classic end of jazz that we all love so much.  I throw my hat in for "Hot" music.

One of the problems with Riverwalk is the 'Public' radio stations throw it on at odd hours...apparently hours that they need to fill something in with.

A bigger problem with Riverwalk is that it comes off too much as 'Jazz appreciation 101'.  I"ve had to turn it off more than once.

If Jim Cullum would get rid of David Holt and producer Margaret Pick and just do some relaxed shows of good swinging 'Hot' music, and forget the lectures and other BS I think that the listenership would increase dramatically.

Jim beebe   101