[Dixielandjazz] OKOM on the radio (was LOGAN WB Fest on NPR )

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Jun 8 17:14:43 PDT 2003

It is very difficult to find OKOM on true "NPR" (National Public radio)
stations - they all seem to be mostly dedicated to pledge drives, news,
pledge drives, talk, national programs and pledge drives. (Prairie Home
Companion is a rare OKOM exception.) Likewise, the Pacifica Network
stations used to be a great place for hearing OKOM but they are now
mostly just a more "leftist" NPR...

However, there are a lot of non-NPR non-commercial broadcast radio
stations in the US that have the freedom and ability to play the kind
of music we still want to hear. Some even have internet "broadcast"
ability so you can listen from anywhere in the world! The station I
have been part of since 1983 has been proud to offer all kinds of music
to the San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area (and now the world.) Not all of
it is what we on this list call OKOM but we do try to offer an
alternative, eclectic mix of new and old music including Jazz,
Bluegrass, Surf, Blues, Soundtracks, and many other speciality kinds of
music. Our staff is of many different ages and backgrounds and we do
manage to keep it going without monthly or weekly pledge drives!

You can find out more about us at www.kfjc.org and you can also find
state by state links for many other independent non-commercial college
radio stations at http://www.frontiernet.net/~ibs/Stations1.html

Dave Richoux The Jazz Parade 10AM - 12PM PDT Thursdays  KFJC 89.7FM Los
Altos Hills CA  www.kfjc.org