[Dixielandjazz] Memphis Nighthawks

Dick Baker dickbkr at goon.org
Fri Jun 6 19:05:26 PDT 2003

Dandy band that I remember playing at the St. Louis Ragtime Festival in the
mid-late 1970s.  From Champaign-Urbana, formed in 1975.  I have two albums:

"Jazz Lips" - Delmark DS-216, 1977
Musicians are Steve Jensen, tp; Joel Helleny, tb; Ron DeWar, reeds; Mike
Miller, bjo/gtr; Dave Feinman, bass sax; Bob Kornacher, dr
tunes (exactly as rendered on album cover) are
Jazz Lips
Froggy Moore
Some of These Days
Changes
Margie
Don't Forget to Messaround
Shreveport
Tishomingo Blues
Papa De Da Da
Temptation Rag
1919

"Live at the Stabilizer" - Golden Crest CRS 4162, 1977
Same personnel
tunes are
Ory's Creole Trombone
Messin' Around
Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me
Oriental Strut
Buddie's Habits
Of All the Wrongs
Panama
Dr. Jazz
Wolverine Blues

>Hi Listmates,
>Can anyone tell me who the Memphis Nighthawks are/were?  Who played in that
>group and when?  Google doesn't help, but is there another site that might?
>A friend of mine has a cassette someone gave him of this group, with no
>information on it, and he doesn't know exactly what he's got.
>TIA,
>Rae Ann
>-

   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
               dickbkr at goon.org