[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 22:09:58 PDT 2003

> Charlie Hooks <charliehooks at earthlink.net> (polite snip)
>
> on 5/30/03 12:37 AM, Rob McCallum at rakmccallum at hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I think that we suspect that people who are
> > continually challenging themselves and are more in a state of flux and who
> > embrace and encourage change lead more interesting lives, but 99% of people
> > aren't willing to push out past the point where their comfortable notions
> > will be challenged and perhaps jeopardized.
>
> Rob, please:
>
>     You are one of my favorite younger people.  So stop this and distinguish
> more clearly:
>
>     There are most (I'll use your 99%) of the people who want to venerate an
> image of the Virgin (or of Buddha, or of whomever) and about 1 % ("artists")
> who want to piss on this icon.  Usually that 1 % (or whatever percent you
> choose) is comprised of the young turks who know relatively little but have
> enormous urgings to save the world and to assuage every grievance.  Knowing
> next to nothing about history and interested in even less, they love
> rhetoric and the sound of words.  They've seen movies.  They love posturing,
> imitating photographs of adulated poor folk, hands raised and hungry mouths
> open like birds.

Geez Rob,

How could you urinate on tradition like that and venerate all those worthless good for nothings?

Oh, you didn't? You didn't say anything like that? Oops sorry, I guess I'm just jerking my knees
again. I suppose not all of the people who walk the earth questioningly want to piss on icons.

Keep questioning, keep learning, and ignore the Philistines you meet along the way. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone