[Dixielandjazz] swingin' in a bliss - a short report

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sun Jun 1 19:50:09 PDT 2003

Hi Dear Friends, DJML,

Here is a short report of my ramblings in Chicago and Sacramento; I had
exceedingly good times in both places, and I am most indebted to you
all, especially to JIM BEEBE, JIM KASH, STEVE BARBONE for your wise
hints and recommendations, the extraordinary BOB LYNN for his patience
and friendly company and guiding thru Chicago, including transportation
at a very early morning hour, May 23 to the Airport, and mostly my
gratitude to charming NANCY GIFFIN for her support and enthusiasm. In
Sacramento, thanks for the warm reception given by CHARLIE HULL, RALPH
THOMPSON, and thanks to the whole K STREET RAMBLERS for premièring my
own composition HOT ONE; thanks to ROGER SNELL and his whole Quartet, to
BOB ROMANS, BILL GUNTER and the whole CELL BLOCK 7, for letting me join
forces with their great Bands; thanks to MEG GRAF, JOE HOPKINS, and DAN
AUGUSTINE, BOB RINGWALD, PAUL EDGERTON, KAYE WADE, TOM WIGGINS, DAVE
BATCHELOR from BBC Scotland, RICHARD HALLIDAY, DONNA & GENE BERTHELSEN,
DICK WOODWORTH, and so many others, whose I ask to excuse me if don't
mentioned.  I was so overflowed, I'm afraid that didn't give them all
the warm attention they deserve.

My whole adventure was financially possible only because two good and
kind friends invited me to be a guest by them, one in Chicago MANUELA
CUNHA, and the other in a motor home parked at Cal Expo in Sacramento,
EBBE SKOV. With this I was exempted of Hotel expenses, and had the bliss
of their company.

Short report:
I played in Chicago: Monday 19 with Chuck Hedges & Band, Thursday 22
with Art Davis trumpet and his Quintet (Burt Phillips had already flown
to Sacramento to be featured as Star). Afterwards in Sacramento I
discovered that Chuck was one of the Specially Featured Stars at the
Festival!

The public at Chicago Andy's Jazz Club reacted very positively to my
playing, and Chuck went to sit at my table, after the first set that we
played together, chatting and asking questions. It seems he liked my
playing. He invited me for the whole last set, and at the end he asked
me - what for last number. I suggested Avalon; he blinked, and said,
well maybe this is no good choice, ‘cause we play it too fast. I smiled
and said: Don’t bother, play as fast as you can!  And we did it together
very well.  Isn't this big Fun?!

I went also to Bob Koester's giant Jazz Record Mart, did some great CD
buying. Bob is a nice guy, but is a hard business man, no discount, no
promotion talk, but at the end gave me a George Lewis/Don Ewell
cassette.  First Class.

I visited also the impressive French impressionists collection exposed
at the imposing Art Museum, and now I am sure impressionism links much
more to Traditional Jazz than Dadaism. OOPS!  Pleeeease don't start a
new thread! ;-) During two days our list mate Bob Lynn patiently and
kindly took me with his car to visit and photograph many Chicago
highlights, and lowlights.

I went even with a Brazilian friend to a night Concert with Chicago
Symph. Ork. playing the four Bach orchestral suites at the wonderful
Chicago Theatre!

Friday 23 mornings I took my flight to Sacramento. I just rushed from
the airport to the F2F (face to face meeting with friends from the
DJMList) arriving at 11:20 just in time to meet Miss Mary - I mean Miss
Bloody Mary.  And what a happy time meeting Nancy, Bob Ringwald, Dan
Augustine, many others from DJML.  Nancy, Tom Wiggins, Kaye Wade, and
others from our Dixieland Jazz Mailing List were at the Delta King
(Mississippi boat, paddle wheeler transformed in a Hotel and Concert
Hall, docked at the Sacramento River) when I played the first time, but
the second time was much better with even better reaction from the
public.

I played also with the K Street Ramblers, who premiered my own
composition HOT ONE; and with the Cell Block 7, crazy guys, good
players, much fun.

Chuck, Kim Cusack, Allan Vaché, and a few others are outstanding
clarinetists and they really groove.  I had much, much to learn, with
them. And also with others, everywhere at the Festival and in the
streets, learning about music and about America; and am still making the
inventory of this precious not-to-forget fantastic trip to Dixieland
Heaven.
End of short report.

If you want, I will send off-list another mail with my impressions and
comments about the Festival;  maybe more than you want to know . . .
;-)

Many thanks for your help!
send news, take care, have a good time,

Tito