[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ ME NEWS JUNE 2003

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Sun Jun 1 15:58:34 PDT 2003

NEWSLETTER FOR THE JIM CULLUM JAZZ BAND AND RIVERWALK, LIVE FROM THE LANDING
PUBLIC RADIO SERIES

http://www.landing.com

http://www.riverwalk.org

June 2003

To read this newsletter as a web page, go to http://riverwalk.org/new.htm

EDITOR'S NOTE:

Our newsletter this month features and article, "The Birth of the Cool 1927"
by Len Weinstock, which touches on
topics presented in several new shows coming up on Riverwalk Jazz this
summer and fall:

*In our continuing celebration of the 100th birth year of the great Jazz Age
cornetist Bix Beiderbecke, Riverwalk presents two new shows about Bix: Bix &
His Gang: A Birthday Jam to air 6/26, and Bix Rarities, to air sometime this
fall. Both of these shows feature the acclaimed bandleader and bass
saxophonist from New York, Vince Giordano.

*Breaking new ground, Riverwalk Jazz ventures into the territory of
post-WWII saxophone with a show to air in November called Zoot and Al: the
Brotherhood of Prez. The show will feature our own Ron Hockett and rising
star Harry Allen on tenor saxophones.

*Fletcher Henderson led one of the first truly hot big bands at the Roseland
Ballroom in New York in the 1920s. The arranging genius of Don Redman (and
later Fletcher himself) directly led to the musical language of the Swing
Era in the 1930s and 40s. Listen for Fletcher Henderson and Don Redman: The
Birth of the Big Band Reed Section to air later this year. Our show features
Ron Hockett, Kim Cusack, and Allan Vaché on clarinets, who bring to life the
wailing clarinet-trio sound featured in the Henderson and Ellington bands.

Again, here is the link: http://riverwalk.org/new.htm

mopo