[Dixielandjazz] Louis and Ella

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Wed Jul 30 12:38:01 PDT 2003

On 30 Jul 2003 at 20:13, Bill Haesler wrote:

> A little while back someone mentioned having heard Louis Armstrong (and
> his All Stars) and Ella Fitzgerald live, at a concert. I can't find the
> emails involved. Probably now deleted. He was chided by another list
> member, who pointed out that it was more likely to have been Louis'
> long-time singer (and friend) Velma Middleton.

I was the chidee, as I recollected having attended a concert at
Boston's Symphony Hall and seeing Ella (I know it was she) and, I
thought, Louis, together. Perhaps I saw Louis another time, without
Ella.  But I did see Ella that night, from down near the front, first
balcony, and I'll never forget that part of my story.  Apologies if
Louis wasn't there then.  It was about 50 years ago, and my memory is
not what I seem to recall that it used to be, although I could be
wrong about that, too.

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain
Penrose, Inc.