[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Mouthpieces Questions

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 12:29:40 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/29/2003 8:23:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mensa-1 at webtv.net writes:

> I recently bought on Olds Pinto trumpet
> that came with no mouthpiece.  I am no trumpet player , but wanted to
> try to play a little.  I played trombone for several years , from the
> 40's to the 70's but haven't played in several years.
> I have a Holton mouthpiece that I tried but it seemed to take too much
> air to blow.   I picked up a Bach 3 C which is much easier to blow.
> My question is : what is the differences in the designations on the Bach
> mouthpieces ?  I know they run from 1 to 20 and A thru F. I think the
> numbers designate rim size and the letters cup depth. I want one that
> doesn't take a lot of lung capacity to blow since 50 years of smoking
> have reduced mine.
> I don't want to reach stratospheric notes like Maynard Ferguson, just
> lower to middle range .
> Can anyone recommend a designation that I might be comfortable with.?
> I have several other Cornets and Trumpets , some new and some used,
> including 2 pocket trumpets most of which have generic mouthpieces. If I
> can find a good mouthpiece I might try playing them.  One of the pocket
> trumpets is very easy to blow and has a better feel and tone than the
> other.
>
> TIA
> Bill Crist

Generally the smaller the prefix number the larger the rim opening. The
letter indicates the bowl depth. 3-C is a middle of the road mouthpiece & is
slightly larger than the 7-C(this is the size comes packaged with most new horns.)
Hope this helps. I use a 3-C. the 1-C is a giant one, the 10 1/2 C is a smaller
one.

Tom Loeb
<A HREF="www.hotsytotsyboys.com">www.hotsytotsyboys.com</A>