[Dixielandjazz] Re: wylie ave blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 30 10:54:16 PDT 2003

Dear Bob,
With respect, I think you missed a point in my answer.
The Martha Copeland record came out a month AFTER the Halfway house band
recorded their version. Same tune, so it could only have come from sheet music.
I doubt that there was any relationship between the New Orleans based band and
Pittsburgh.
After all, it was only a song.
Think of blues and vaudeville singers from the 20s classic era.
Because they sang about a "man doing 'em wrong" or "cutting 'em up", it did not
mean that this was a personal experience.
I suggest that Grainger (and maybe Davis) wrote "Wylie Avenue Blues" and that
Brunies claimed a part of his recording as the band leader, Diaz probably
arranged this excellent band version and Mistier was someone else with his
finger in the royalty pie.
What we need to solve the query is a copy (if one exists) of the original sheet
music.
If you look at other early songs (say, those published by Clarence Williams)
what you see on the record label frequently does not tie in with the registered
(later) copyright information.
Kind regards,
Bill.