[Dixielandjazz] Kurt's Bix Report

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 12:48:45 PDT 2003

Hello all -

I can vouch for what Kurt said about the Thursday night gig his band played -
I'm the tubist in the band, and we've been well received each year that we've
performed.  He is also accurate in his evaluations of all the venues the
bands play in.  I have been in about half of the festivals since it started in
1972 with four different bands.  The original festivals only occured at LeClaire
Park, and that is "heaven on earth" if you can stand the heat on the stage.
I've heard the best bands in the world play there.

Bob Ringwald, I'm sorry I didn't meet you last year - I was with the Red Rose
Ragtime Band (a group I still play with, having left Chicago 17 years ago)
but they keep you hopping at Bix.  Maybe next time!

Just a thought about Bob Hope's passing.  Not to take anything away from him
at all - what a great entertainer!  But I can't help thinking that he was less
than three months younger than Bix, and if Hope had died when Bix did, well,
he hadn't even gotten into radio in 1931.  I know Hope had made a name for
himself in Vaudeville by then, but would anyone remember that?  And yet, look at
the influence Bix had in just 28 years of life!  What if Bix had lived to 100?
 What if....well, it's fun to think about sometimes.

Thanks for your indulgence in this long post.

Mike Short
Tubist, Party Gras Band
Des Moines, IA