[Dixielandjazz] Son of The Gig Returns (subject chznge)

willc willc at nova.edu
Mon Jul 28 23:59:16 PDT 2003

Charlie Hull wrote:

> I wonder how he kept a straight face during that poignant moment when he had
> to tell Warren Vache Jr he was being replaced because he couldn't cut it.
>
> Charlie Hull

Didn't happen that way, Charlie. I just finished watching "The Gig"  fifteen
minutes ago and it was the clarinet guy who was cut by the bassist who wound up
taking over the gig after the singer's "muscle"  forced the resort owner to can
the original band. The bass guy offered to keep cornetist Vache, who refused the
offer.

FWIW, I saw the flick when it premiered down here. I  was hired by the studio
(Castle Rock) to put bands in four theaters in Miami and Fort Lauderdale for the
first showing, and a good time was had by all!

I got the videotape from listmate Gene Mayl about a year ago, but didn't watch
it until tonight. The music was good, but there was too little of it. I've known
scores of amateur musicians through the years but don't think I could ever have
put together a band with as many gutless sissies (not fags - sissies) as were
written into that script. On a scale of 10, I'd give the picture a 5 - just
average. I'd give Pete Kelly's Blues a 9.5 - who could not with Ella and Peggy
and the Matty Matchbox gang aboard??
Kindly,
Will.