[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Gig - was Dixieland Music Taught in Schools

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Jul 26 09:32:50 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: The Gig - was Dixieland Music Taught in Schools

> Yes a fun movie. Near the end, the band gets hired to back a top flight
> singer after their first gig is over and the bass player has to hire some
> professionals because some of the guys in the band can't cut the parts.
>
> Very poignant moment when he tells the trumpert player that "loving the
> music is not enough" for him to play the back-up parts and has to replace
> him with a trumpet player who can do it.

That's almost correct, Steve. Actually, it was the clarinet player who loved
the music but wasn't quite up to the bass player's standards. In another
ironic, musical twist, it's the trumpet player who is really fantastic
(played by Warren Vache), yet he opts out of the offer to play due to lack
of interest. A great movie. Obviously written by a musician -- or at least
someone who knows one really well.

A movie full of those moments we've all experienced. Everything from dealing
with a band full of different personalities to dealing with the resort owner
who knows absolutely nothing about music. I loved it when, as he begins to
introduce the band on their first night, he discovers the band has no name
and he immediately blurts out to the crowd, "And now, 'The New Grenadiers!'"

And, Randy, the group's regular bass player doesn't die until the very end
of the movie. When the band hears the news, they stop the car, gather around
the side of the road and play.  THE END

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"