[Dixielandjazz] the life expectancy of dixieland

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 17:35:28 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/28/03 12:03:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> Tom Wiggins said :
>
> "some folks want OKOM to die and will do exactly
> what it takes to make that happen"
>
> I have been following this thread very closely but cannot recall anybody
> else saying that.
>
> John Farrell
> stridepiano at tesco.net
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~stridepiano/midifiles.htm

I am sorry John:

But if you keep telling folks over and over that they are dying, by God they
will start to believe it and will actually lay down and die.

I keep referring to the preacher who tells us that the world is coming to an
end Today, but I already know it's tomorrow in Australia.

It is not dying, and more than likely never will, what is happening is that a
great many of the older players have gotten tired of the hard work it takes
to keep working and have retired such as yourself, and found other ways to
fulfill your fix for the music.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but we younger guys still fighting the good
fight need the encouragement from you guys to keep it all going, that is all I
am saying.

I certainly do not subscribe to anyone really wanting it to Die, well if you
don't stop all the death talk about it and go play it or promote it or buy a
pub and hire some young guys who want to play it, then sure as Hell it will
actually die.

There are so many ways to stay active and participate in the game, as many of
you do, and Bless you that do for your efforts.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins