[Dixielandjazz] Saving dixieland jazz

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:33:34 PDT 2003

Hi Tom and all,

You done writ:

>Bill: You just performed at the Big Sacramento Jazz jubilee, perhaps you
>were
>wearing Blinders for four days.  There were estimated about 50,000 people a
>day attended that event for four days as I was informed, not counting the
>approximately four thousand volunteers.

As one who has been:

1. president of the Sacramento Trad Jazz Society
2. publicity directory for the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee
3. a musician who has performed at every jubilee since 1988
4. a volunteer at every festival since 1988
5. the MC of the opening ceremonies at the last 10 jazz jubilees

one might get the idea that I'm somewhat aware of what's going on at the
Sacramento Jazz Jubilee.

The Sacramento Jubilee as directed by executive director Roger Krum has
continually expanded its appeal to the general public by adding a number of
innovations at the annual festival. For one thing, we have dropped the name
"Dixieland" from the name of the affair (it used to be called "The
Sacramento DIXIELAND Jubilee"). For another thing we have expanded the
concept from strictly trad jazz to include such things as Country Swing,
Blues, Zydeco, Klezmer, etc.   . . . other forms of jazz related musical
forms which have a broader appeal to non "mouldy figs" in our community.

It is apparent that a number of other festivals are also doing this with the
realization that a diet of pure trad OKOM will not serve the larger
community. Those festival that continue to play dixieland only are doomed.
Sorry, that's the way it is.

We (Jubilee Officials) sort of look at this as a "crossover" effect. Get the
folks who want to hear some zydeco and perhaps they'll also hear a bit of
trad jazz and, hopefully, develop renewed interest in the genre.

And I will tell you this . . . were it not for this sort of activity
(expanding the musical offerings) the Jubilee would have started withering
away years ago.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "not wearing blinders" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com