[Dixielandjazz] Saving dixieland jazz

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 17:08:09 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/28/03 9:34:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jazzboard at hotmail.com writes:

> The Sacramento Jubilee as directed by executive director Roger Krum has
> continually expanded its appeal to the general public by adding a number of
> innovations at the annual festival. For one thing, we have dropped the name
> "Dixieland" from the name of the affair (it used to be called "The
> Sacramento DIXIELAND Jubilee"). For another thing we have expanded the
> concept from strictly trad jazz to include such things as Country Swing,
> Blues, Zydeco, Klezmer, etc.   . . . other forms of jazz related musical
> forms which have a broader appeal to non "mouldy figs" in our community.
>
> It is apparent that a number of other festivals are also doing this with the
>
> realization that a diet of pure trad OKOM will not serve the larger
> community. Those festival that continue to play Dixieland only are doomed.
> Sorry, that's the way it is.

Now this makes more sense than your previous goings on about the Death or
soon to be death of Dixieland Music.

And the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee is absolutely correct in making these
additions and changes to keep it a viable operation and popular event to attract
people of all ages, and if it takes bringing in other types of music to expose
folks to Dixieland then by all means do it.   To not do so, I agree will
certainly bring about the untimely premature death of Dixieland.

Hiding it away and disrespecting it for many years have contributed greatly
to it's present condition and potential demise as some folks know it and wish
it to remain.

The rebels need to come back and find ways of creating new opportunities for
people of all musical persuasions to see and hear it, some will like it an
embrace it and many will not, or at least not for another twenty years or so and
then they will discover it again like many of us and embrace it for what it is
Good Happy music that makes most folks feel good about something except for
dying and the dying of this music.

The more folks we make happy with it the more will embrace it and expand it's
opportunities long after we are gone, Heck is that not what Louis Did?

My comment about you wearing Blinders at the festival was brought about by
the texture of the dying OKOM in your original thread, you are preaching from
two different sermons Rev. Bill, or at least it seems that way to me, then again
maybe I am just hearing two different sermons and getting confused.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

"Rebel looking for a Cause"