[Dixielandjazz] Saving dixieland jazz

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 06:08:14 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/27/03 6:15:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jazzboard at hotmail.com writes:

Bill: You just performed at the Big Sacramento Jazz jubilee, perhaps you were
wearing Blinders for four days.  There were estimated about 50,000 people a
day attended that event for four days as I was informed, not counting the
approximately four thousand volunteers.

> People whose average age is now 70 plus or minus a couple of years.

I saw great numbers of people in attendance well under the average age of 70
years.
I saw more in the range of thirty to forty something than I had ever expected
to see.  I actually came there to see if it really was nothing but 70+ year
olds with walkers and wheelchairs.  I was very pleasantly surprised to see so
many younger people in attendance.

> People who, in many cases, like to dance to 2 beat music.

I also saw lots of people who liked to dance to blues, Cajun, zydeco, swing
and Latin music.

> People who want to hear the songs from Bob Neighbor's book over and over
> and
> over and over.

I saw many people who never even heard of Bob Neighbor at that event having a
wonderful time listening to all kinds of OKOM.

> Married and widowed (mostly surviving wives) people.

Yes, there were a good number of these folks in attendance, but there were
also entire families with children from 7 to 70 having a good time and liking
the music.

> They are now as a group starting to carry canes, walkers and oxygen
> bottles.
> They may wear bell bottomed polyesters from a few generations back to appear
>
> dapper.

Nothing wrong with that, I for one am thrilled to see the older folks come
out and have a good time while they still can, when they can't come out and do
it anymore we should get off our asses and go play for them in the homes they
end up in.

> They are warm, friendly and appreciative folks who love the music.

Yes, indeed they are, and what is wrong pray tell with that, certainly better
than gun totein' drugged out gangbangers at major rap events just looking for
trouble and someone to hurt.

> They also belong to the jazz clubs in their hometowns.
> They'll all be dead soon as will those performing for them.

I guess you have not seen the latest life expectancy data either, the average
American is now living to be about 80 and many others are active and staying
around a lot longer than that, more and more pass the 100 mark every year.

Bob Hope just hit 100, Herb Jeffries has to be about 98 by now, Anita O'Day
is 85, we buried Hadda Brooks this year and she was still going strong at 86,
how about George Burns, he was older than God when he decided to leave us.

Come on Bill Life begins at 70, and I can't wait to get there, keep me posted
as to the old washboard players home you go to and I'll be sure to stop by
and do a show for you in about twenty years, and even if you don't recognize me
you will get a big smile on your face when you hear the music.  Sure beats
trying to put string on a spool all day.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins