FW: [Dixielandjazz] is it in a decline?

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Jul 28 11:52:10 PDT 2003

Bill wrote:
>That's one of the best evaluations of the current status of dixieland
I've
>read.

Wow, what a surprise, Bill.  Normally, you don't give up the fight so
quickly.  I was sure my short statement wasn't going to sway anyone.

> As Tex Wyndham says, dixieland as an art form is destined for the
museum.

Actually, my words about the festivals only comes from heresay...and,
mostly here on DJML.  One should realize that I've had no contact with
U.S. Dixieland since coming to Spain in 1966.  That was BEFORE the
festival thing was happening.  Our band, in California, played small
clubs...first a coffee house in the '50's, later a beer bar (where I got
canned...excuse the pun...for being underage).  Later the band went on
to play the Shakey's scene (which I never saw in person, either).

It was only years later that I heard about the festivals, and that a
band like my old band...Vince Saunder's South Frisco...got together for
the various festivals only, and worse yet, the band was spread all over
the U.S.  This was at a time when, if I didn't have a gig for 10 days I
would start biting the bit, get nervous, start singing songs to
myself...etc.  Yeah, a real addict!  (Same thing still happens even
now!)  I couldn't understand how a band could go so long in between
gigs, and decided I wouldn't like that scene at all.

We've only played one festival...in Dresden, and it was fun.  But, I
wouldn't like it to be my normal fix, believe me.

>But dixieland as a day to day event by bands who book gigs at
>supermarket openings and street concerts and parks and clubs or any old

>venue that's looking for some happy music will live forever.
>They won't do anything to regain the "POPULAR" music label but they'll
continue to work >as long as they want.

That's the plan, Bill. That's the plan!!

Jim      :> in the sun....