[Dixielandjazz] Saving dixieland jazz

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:49:36 PDT 2003

Hola amigos,

Fred writes:

>  Part of my career was spent as a state epidemiologist so I tend to
>approach material from the perspective of the group. It would perhaps be
>interesting, even valuable, to document the compositioin of the audiences
>who attend  as many "dixieland" festivals as possible, of which "The
>Mississippi Rag" lists some 70 during the rest of this year, most of which
>are in the USA.

Practically everyone on this list falls into the category of those who
attend as many "dixieland" festivals as possible. Especially the musicians
in here who play them routinely. I'm not gonna discuss the nature and/or
quality of the music and musicians, but I will point out that in a group
such as the DJML it is totally unnecessary to do a demographic documentation
on the makeup of those who attend dixieland festivals. We all know who goes
to the festivals. They are:

People whose average age is now 70 plus or minus a couple of years.
People who, in many cases, like to dance to 2 beat music.
People who want to hear the songs from Bob Neighbor's book over and over and
over and over.
Married and widowed (mostly surviving wives) people.
They are now as a group starting to carry canes, walkers and oxygen bottles.
They may wear bell bottomed polyesters from a few generations back to appear
dapper.
They are warm, friendly and appreciative folks who love the music.
They also belong to the jazz clubs in their hometowns.
They'll all be dead soon as will those performing for them.

That's pretty much it . . . not much hope for the salvation of dixieland as
we know it. But we're all gonna take it with us when we go and the ride will
have been wonderful . . . a helava lot better than the ride the rapsters get
to take.

One last thought.

Of course you all realize that everything I've said regarding the issue of
the future of dixieland jazz has been totally and entirely subjective with
little to actually justify or validate my claims. But I don't give a poop!
I'm right and those who disagree are wrong.  So there!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "You know down deep that you agree with me, don't you?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com