[Dixielandjazz] Saving dixieland jazz

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sun Jul 27 19:36:22 PDT 2003

  Part of my career was spent as a state epidemiologist so I tend to
approach material from the perspective of the group. It would perhaps be
interesting, even valuable, to document the compositioin of the
audiences who attend  as many "dixieland" festivals as possible, of
which "The Mississippi Rag" lists some 70 during the rest of this year,
most of which are in the USA. This would be a completely impersonal,
anonymous survey requesting answers to "choice"questions about age, sex,
race, education,.income range, and other data that festival
producers/band leaders/statisticians consider relevant, possibly
including answers to how the attendee learned about the show, whether
he/she owns dixieland recordings, if so how many, favorite
band/musician, etc. The survey form, surveyors/ band leaders would
explain the reason for the survey was to improve the national
presentation of the music the attendee enjoys, or he/she would not be
there. Ideally this would be financed by some non-profit source, but...
I realize that this is unlikely to happen, and may be received by some
list members as being too intrusive on fans' privacy, although this is
standard survey procedure. Data derived from a study of this type, if
conducted properly, would at least provide a limited basis of fact to a
discusion of where dixieland is goiug. Best wishes.
Fred