[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 84

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 16:12:05 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/27/03 10:14:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DWSI at aol.com
writes:

> ? When
> producers take a chance and put it out there it's amazing how many people
> (all age
> groups) do listen. Not everybody loves it, but then again, not everybody
> loves
> ANY kind of music. That's the point the teen radio stations miss. All you
> hear
> there is a steady diet of the same old monotonous rap and whinny teen
> singing.
> It's such a narrow range! My point, I guess, is that we need to keep the
> faith and put our Dixieland out there. The truth will make them free.
>
> Dan (piano fingers) Spink

Absolutely correct Dan.

Producers, many of whom are musicians continue to try and put out what they
are hearing on the radio in the hopes of getting their music played on the
radio and cashing in on the "new trend or sound."  Unfortunately by the time they
get theirs produced and shipped off to the radio stations, it is too late and
the genre has taken a new path in the ever changing world and quest for new
discoveries.

We simply need to start working the media ourselves and allow them to
"discover" OKOM.

Currently the commercial Jazz radio stations are owned by a giant
conglomerate Clear Channel who also own and control the major venues in this country and
many parts of Europe.  The decisions are being made by executives of the
corporation and mandated to the radio stations across the country.

I know because I work with them every day, and am being forced to present
Smooth Jazz to audiences that would love to hear something different, but can't
because the radio can't play anything that the corporate bosses don't approve
of.  And guess what folks?  They approve of playing the recordings of the
artists that are buying the radio time (Through independent record promoters) to
promote their music, side stepping the OLD Payola scam.

Smooth Jazz acts on the charts are bought and paid for folks like it or not,
I know because I work and book several of them, but I don't want anyone to
know except the people who are buying them and making us a living.  If you can't
beat em join em, ya gotta make money to promote the things you really do like.

Sony Music just declared that their record profits are down 98% which is
wonderful news for the independent artists, that means that the Internet has
opened up the gates to Heaven for selling your own music and getting paid for it as
well.  The major record labels as we have known them are now dinosaurs dying
a slow painful death as did many a fine artists that had been held in their
greedy clutches over the past five decades.

Long live the rebels, the Music revolution has begun and this time the Rebels
are winning.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins